Keep those little monsters in your life full with this fun twist on trail mix.
I’m excited to share with you today the biggest hit (aside from the pinata) at our Monsters University Party. When I was planning the menu I wanted to keep things easy and simple (finger foods) since we were having a water balloon fight and pool party; I didn’t want too many sticky, dirty hand prints on our doors. This trail mix was perfect to have by the pool where everyone could grab a cute little cup, fill it up with some treats then go back to swimming.
Since we were having chips and salsa already I didn’t want a super salty trail mix and the combination of pretzels, candied popcorn, white chocolate chips and craisins was the perfect sweet to salty ratio. The only thing better than the yummy taste was how easy it was to make. The hardest part was letting the candied popcorn cool. I used the same recipe for the popcorn that I used for my Monsters Inc. Popcorn Balls (which the kids love too) but with the trail mix it was much less messy to put together.
Monster Munchies Mix
- 3 cups pretzels
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup craisins
- 1/2 cup uncooked popcorn kernels equals about 8 cups popped
- 2 boxes Jolly Rancher Jello Mix Blue Raspberry and Sour Green Apple
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 Tbsp butter 1 stick
- 6 Tbsp corn syrup
- 4 Tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 200F
- In two separate pans combine 1 box each of Jello Mix, 1/2 cup sugar, 4 Tbsp butter, 3 Tbsp corn syrup and 2 Tbsp sweetened condensed milk.
- Over medium heat stir until combined and fully combined (about 3-4 minutes)
- Divide popped popcorn into two separate bowls.
- Pour the hot mixes onto popcorn. Use wooden spoon to combine.
- Pour covered popcorn on a cookie sheet lined with foil and lightly greased.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes.
- Let cool on cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (or two) and stir to combine.
- Store in an air tight container
What are your favorite trail mix ingredients?
You may also like:
Emily, Our house now a home says
This looks like so much fun, and yummy! I will have to give it a try with my kids.
Thank you so much Emily! Let me know if you make it and what you think of it!
Vicki and Jennifer 2 Bees in a Pod says
Sydney – we are always blown away by your culinary creativity! This looks delicious too!
Ah you ladies are so sweet! Thank you so much 🙂
This looks adorable and delicious! I loved the movie Monsters, Inc., even though we no longer have any little “monsters” running around! 🙂
Thanks so much Benita! I know how you feel…I find myself watching my boys’ shows long after I put them to bed. Thanks for stopping by!!
Adorable and looks so yummy! Def pinning for later!!!
Ah thank you so much Sara!
Ah thank you so much Sara!
April Rutherford says
YUM YUM YUM!! My Monster Inc. loving kids will LOVE this. Thanks for sharing!
Ah thanks April! This was such a hit with my kiddos I’ve made it twice since the party 🙂 I hope your kids like it too!
Creatively Homespun says
YUM! Thank you for linking up at the Creative K Kids’ Tasty Tuesdays! I have pinned your post to our Tasty Tuesdays Pinterest Board! I hope to see you again this week! xo
Lou Lou Girls says
Oh Yum! I get so excited each week to see what you have been working on because it’s always AMAZING! Thank you for sharing this with us. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you on Monday at 7 pm, so we can party!!!! Lou Lou Girls