Can you believe it’s the last day of September?! I sure can’t. The weather here in Utah has been pretty beautiful and nothing like fall; until this weekend. As the weather gets cooler it makes me excited to cook more soups and more of my favorite comfort foods. Really that’s the only thing that I’m excited about when it comes to cool weather. We were outside this weekend and it was 60 something and I always already thinking it was too cold.
You may remember a few weeks back I posted my ultimate comfort food, Homemade Sloppy Joes, I could eat them once a week. However, my boys like some variety. So when I found this recipe from Cake, Batter and Bowl I couldn’t wait to try it. It has just enough BBQ sauce to make you think you’re not eating a sloppy joe and the caramelized onions and cheese are just the icing on the cake, so to speak. The guys really liked them too so I can definitely seeing these be a regular in our dinner routine. Bonus: They are ready to eat in less than a half an hour. So if you have 101 things going on at night and don’t have a lot of time to cook, this is a great go to recipe.
1 lb. ground beef
1 cup BBQ sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray’s)
1 cup yellow onion, sliced into thin strips
4 slices cheese (you can use whatever you have. I used Swiss and the Joes tasted great!)
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 Tbsp butter
4-6 hamburger buns
In a small saucepan heat oil and butter over medium heat.
Add onions and reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are caramelized.
While onions are cooking, brown ground beef.
Drain grease and add BBQ sauce to beef.
Stir to combine and let simmer for 2-5 minutes.
Add ground beef to bottom of bun. Top with cheese and then onions.
Let sit for a few minutes and allow cheese to melt.
I always like to serve sloppy joes, no matter what the variety, with macaroni and cheese, and green beans are always good with anything BBQ.
Don’t forget to link up your favorite recipes to our Tasty Tuesdays party!
Tammy from Creative K Kids is the host of this party every week!
This month, Anna from Family Living on a Budget and Sydney from Tastefully Frugal are also running this party on their blogs!
We would love to have you link up to three of your old or new food posts!
Here are just a few requests for this linky
- PLEASE follow the hosts and co-hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They visit your post, leave a comment, and pin your post. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Try to visit a couple of blogs and leave a comment or share their posts.
- Please make sure you link up only food-related posts that have never been linked up here before or they will be deleted. Non-food posts can always be linked up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party!
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.
[inlinkz_linkup id=441181 mode=1]
Lou Lou Girls says
Hello cute lady! I’m so excited to party with you today! I hope you get a chance to stop by our party. We would be amazing! http://loulougirls.blogspot.com
Happy Tuesday! Lou Lou Girls
Thanks for hosting, Ladies. Hope everyone is having a great week so far 🙂
Thanks for linking up with us Robyn!
Kendra @ www.joyinourhome.com says
We love Sloppy Joes and yours look so yummy, Sydney!! 🙂 I didn’t know you were from Utah! Are you going to SNAP next year? Hope you have a great week, my friend! (p.s. I’d love for you to come link up any of your fabulous recipes at our link up party on Thursdays please 🙂
Thanks so much Kendra! This is one of my favorites too! I would love to go just not sure if I can justiy the cost right now… but if I win tickets that’s another story! 😉 Are you going? If so we totally need to get together while you are in town! I will definitely be linking up on Thursdays… Congrats on your link party! I can’t believe how big it is for being so new! Hope you have a great week!