Have you ever been grocery shopping and knew you were forgetting something but just couldn’t remember what? You had everything on your list but you just had this little voice in the back of your head saying “Hey don’t forget the…” and you can never remember what the the was. Yeah, that happened to me a few weeks ago. We had just gotten back from California at midnight the night before and we were pretty much out of food. That morning, after starting laundry and having the hubby run to Carl’s Jr. for some breakfast sandwiches I whipped up a meal plan and grocery list and headed to the store.
My boys were obviously still a little restless from our 11 hour car ride the day before because they were going crazy. I mean, touching everything, breaking everything crazy! Note to self: never take children ANYWHERE after an 11 hour car ride. As we quickly ran through the store getting everything on the list and trying to get out with as little damage as possible I had a stinging suspicion that I was forgetting something.
It wasn’t until the next morning, Sunday, that I finally realized what I had forgotten. Breakfast. Anything for breakfast. We had milk but that was about it. No cereal, no eggs, no pancake mix, nothin’. I couldn’t really skip breakfast and I didn’t really feel like cooking hot dogs for breakfast so I turned to Google to see what I could use in place of eggs. The first option that came up was applesauce. That I had, and plenty of it. Then I found this recipe for Oatmeal Muffins and decided to give it a shot. It was a huge hit! So much so that my boys asked for them again for breakfast every day that week. The applesauce makes these mini muffins super moist and the oats are a good source for fiber and make you feel full after eating one or two (unless you are a 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 and eat like there’s no tomorrow).
These make a great breakfast and snack for even the pickiest of eaters. I made them for a play date we had and they were gone in no time. So if you don’t have eggs, or are serving someone who has allergies to eggs, have no fear, these applesauce oatmeal muffins are sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 cup oats I used steel cut
- 1 cup milk I used 1%
- 1 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Soak oats in milk for 10-15 minutes.
- Add applesauce to oats and milk and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine remaining ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir just to combine. Do not over stir.
- Lightly grease mini muffin tins and fill each cup about 3/4 full
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from tin and let cool on cooling rack.
Do you have a favorite breakfast recipe? I would love to have you link it up (or any of your favorite recipes) to our Tasty Tuesdays Link Party.
This month Sydney from Tastefully Frugal and Audrey from That Recipe are the co-hosts of this party!
We would love to have you link up to three of your old or new food posts!
Here are just a few requests for this linky:
- PLEASE follow the hosts and co-hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They visit your post, leave a comment, and pin your post. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please make sure you link up only food-related posts that have never been linked uphere before or they will be deleted.
Non-food posts can always be linked up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party!
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.
[inlinkz_linkup id=462632 mode=1]