Kauffmans Fruit Farm provided me with product for this post. All opinions are mine alone.
Enjoy a tasty breakfast or dessert with these sweet apple turnovers.
Don’t you love how a certain food can bring back happy memories? I remember when I was going up and we would go to my grandma’s house she would always have apple turnovers waiting for us. My grandparents lived 11 hours away so we didn’t get to see them very often but when we did we could always count on grandma’s sweet and flaky apple turnovers waiting for us.
Now that my boys are getting older I want them to have similar memories of good eats when they grow up. Last month I shared our go-to weekend breakfast, Dutch Babies, which is my boys’ favorite meal by far. But I also wanted them to taste some of my favorite meals from when I was a kid too. Unfortunately, we didn’t write down grandma’s recipe and she doesn’t remember it so I had to work from memory and taste.
Luckily, thanks to Kauffman’s Fruit Farms, those sweet, flaky, delicious turnovers were easy to replicate. It was hard for me not to eat all of these by myself, but I managed to save a few for my guys and they loved them too. Not only are they super yummy but they are easy to make too. I hope they can become as fond a memory for my boys as they were for me growing up.
- 17 oz package frozen puff pastry thawed in fridge
- 2 apples cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a medium saucepan combine apples and apple butter and heat over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until apples have softened.
- While apples are cooking, cut puff pastry into 12 squares.
- Brush outside edges of squares with eggs.
- Fill puff pastry squares with 2 Tbsp apple butter/apple mix.
- Fold over into a triangle and seal edges.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until tops are golden brown
- Combine sugar and milk until smooth.
- Drizzle on top of baked turnovers.
What are some of your favorite family recipes?
If you liked this recipe you may like these too:
Strawberry French Toast Cannolis
15 Minute Homemade Poptarts From Scratch
Gift box provided by Kauffman Fruit Farm (PS there was a full bag of Apple Schnitz included but my boys got to the bag before I could take a picture).
Leave a Reply