Try the healthier version of Chili’s Boneless Buffalo Wings at home.
If I had to pick my favorite restaurant to go to it would definitely be Chili’s. They have such a variety of food there is always something that everyone will like. But going out to eat only happens on a rare occasion these days. One-because taking two active little boys under the age or 3 out to eat anywhere is more work than it is worth and two; said boys have got an appetite so we’ve gone from buying two meals to four and that can be expensive. So what better way to enjoy my favorite foods than to make them myself at home!
Last year I shared a homemade version of my favorite entree, Honey Chipotle Chicken Crispers, and today I want to share with you my favorite appetizer (and really my favorite Chili’s menu item) Boneless Buffalo Wings. Normally I’m not a spicy food fan, like mild salsa is too spicy for me, but there is something about the mix of the hot buffalo sauce and ranch that I just love. My boys are big fans of them too. What I love about this homemade version is how many they make. At the restaurant you get 10 or 12 but my homemade version made over 40! Plus they are healthier too thanks to my Avalon Bay Air Fryer 100.
It’s basically a deep fryer but instead of using oil it uses recirculated air. But it can do so much more than a deep fryer. The Air Fryer can also grill and bake too! I can’t wait to try my boys’ favorite dinner, Teriyaki Chicken in it. This air fryer is perfect for summer time. No need to heat up the house with your oven. The Air Fryer 100 preheats in just over 3 minutes and is really quiet too. Making dinner while the boys nap is much easier now that I don’t have a squeaky oven door or loud beep that goes with the timer. But enough about the features….how does it cook?
I was so impressed with how the wings turned out. The outsides were perfectly crispy while the meat inside was moist and delicious. My husband is pretty particular with how he likes his chicken cooked and there have been several times I have had to put his chicken back in the oven to cook longer. Not this time; he loved the wings too; so much so that he offered to do dishes after. I think he read the directions while I was cooking and saw that the pieces are dishwasher safe so he had an easy job. 🙂 The Air Fryer has definitely simplified my cooking routine and I can’t wait to share more recipes with you using it!
Back to the wings. As I mentioned earlier they are the perfect combination of moist, juicy meat and crispy breading. But the sauce is what makes these wings the best. I got the base recipe from Top Secret Recipes but made a few changes. The biggest one being the type of sauce and the amount. I don’t know if I just made smaller wings or if I used bigger breasts than Todd used but I made 46 wings with just 2 breasts.
Copy Cat Chili's Boneless Buffalo Wings
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 egg
- 1 c milk
- 1/2 cup Frank's Buffalo Sauce
- 2 Tbsp butter
- if you are not using the air fryer you will need about 5 cups of vegetable oil for deep fryer
- Preheat Air Fryer for 4 minutes. (Preheat deep fryer to 360F)
- In a bowl combine flour and all spices.
- In a separate bowl whisk together egg and milk.
- Cut chicken into 2 in pieces.
- Dip chicken pieces into egg/milk mix and then into flour mix.
- Repeat step 5 so chicken is double coated.
- Cook in Air Fryer for 23 minutes, flipping chicken after about 15 minutes. (Cook in deep fryer for 5-6 minutes)
- Let chicken rest on a plate while you make sauce.
- Combine hot sauce and butter in a microwave safe bowl and cook for 30 sec increments, stirring in between until butter is completely melted.
- Place chicken in a ziplock bag or container with lid and pour sauce over chicken. Shake until chicken is fully coated.
- Serve with ranch (or bleu cheese) dressing and celery sticks
What’s your favorite restaurant food?
You may also like: