This 15 minute appetizer is sure to be a game day hit!
We had two big wins in our house this weekend. Our team, Utah, beat Michigan and we had a super yummy game day spread including my (and my boys) new favorite treat, fried pickles. I have always been a big pickle fan. OK I’ve always been a HUGE pickle fan! When I was younger my parents used to have to put the pickles on the top shelf of the fridge so I couldn’t reach them and eat the whole jar. So when I was thinking of what tasty snacks I should make for our game day parties, pickles immediately came to mind.
Unfortunately, my husband and boys aren’t as big of pickle fans as I am. In fact they can’t stand them. So what better way to disguise food then to fry it right?! Everything is better fried! To hide what I was doing (mostly from my boys, my husband will try anything I cook) I made a batch of my Wings first so they could munch on those while I was cooking the pickles.
As soon as I put these down in front of them they all dipped them in the ranch right away. My guys are obsessed with ranch dressing; they put it on everything! And try to eat it straight out of the bottle. Gross I know! Anyways, they dipped these fried babies in the ranch and it was like a chorus of “Mmmmm’s”. The next thing I know the whole plate was gone, literally with-in minutes, and they were asking for more. Good thing I’m a pickle-aholic and had another jar in the pantry!
These crunchy, tangy delicious treats take only 15 minutes to make and have the perfect mix of zesty, dill taste as well as a little zing thanks to paprika and spicy(-ish) ranch. I love me a some boneless buffalo wings but that is the only kind of hot I can handle. You could easily make these more spicy by adding more paprika to the fry batter or more hot sauce to the ranch.
- 1 (16 oz.) jar of dill pickle wedges
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- 5-6 drops of hot sauce
- Remove pickles from jar and blot with a paper towel until they are dry.
- Whisk together milk and egg in one bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine all dry ingredients.
- Dip the pickle wedges in flour mix, then egg mix, then back in flour mix.
- Heat 2 in of oil over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Carefully place pickles in oil and let cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Place on a paper towel lined cooked sheet.
- Combine ranch and hot sauce in a bowl.
- When removing pickles from oil it's best to use long tongues (like for the BBQ) so you don't get burnt from the oil.
- ***To make in an Air Fryer, layer pickles in a single layer and cook for 8-10 minutes.
Bloggers are some of the biggest game day fans, and the ones you want to invite to your parties because we bring the best treats! Check out these 6 other FAN-Tastic Tailgate Recipes and be the star of the next game day!
Ultimate Buffalo Chicken Wings|Hey Grill Hey Country Style Barbecue Ribs|Eat It & Say Yum Barbecue Beef Sandwiches|Uncookie Cutter Famous Baked Onion Dip|Goodie Godmother Brunswick Stew|Uncookie Cutter 5 Epic Stuffed Hot Dogs|Hey Grill Hey
What team are you rooting for this season?
P.S. Don’t throw those pickle jars away! Make these Storage Jars for less than $1!
P.P.S Don’t want to fry your pickles in oil?? You can also cook them in an Air Fryer! Much healthier and a whole lot easier to clean up!