Five reasons why moms need a break (just in case you needed a few more).
I’m sure we’ve all been there as parents. You are exhausted, the house is a mess, the kids are screaming and all you want to do is have five minutes to yourself. If you have little ones this probably happens more often than we’d like; and if you’re anything like me taking a break is the last thing on your mind. I’m always thinking about what I need to get done, what I’ll be cooking for dinner, am I being a good example for my kids and the list goes on and on. But sometimes you need a break. After a very stressful month I had the opportunity to visit a new spa here in Utah, Mountainside Spa in Holladay. More about that at the end of the post AND a giveaway but first let me give you five reasons why you, mom, need to take a break!
1. You have the hardest job in the world. Seriously you do! I always heard this before I was a mom and never thought it was true. What could be harder than working 60 hour weeks; but boy was I wrong. Now I work 168 weeks with no sick days, paid vacation or lunch breaks. It’s the best job I could ever imagine but it’s also the most difficult too. Even the hardest working professions, doctors, lawyers, manual laborers get breaks every day; so why shouldn’t you?!
2. For your health. Both your physical and mental health. Not only does your body needs a break but so does your mind. If you’re like me, and I’m sure most moms are, you are always stressing about your kids, your spouse, your home, everything. You need some time to shut your brain off and just relax.
3. For your spouse and kids. This may sound a little silly; why does my family need for me to take a break? I thought the same thing too. I always heard moms in playgroups say “I have a girls night every week, I have to for my kids and husband.” I was like yeah, right, that’s just your way of justifying it. But it’s totally true. When you are more relaxed and not stressed you are much happier to be around. It wasn’t until I took my first break (when my youngest was 18 months) and after my husband noticed a positive change. Now I don’t feel I need a break every week but I definitely don’t feel guilty taking a break when I do.
4. To Recharge. When my boys ask why they need to go to bed or take a nap I always tell them “You need to recharge your batteries so you have more energy to play”. Well guess what moms, the same goes for us. And a lot of times sleep isn’t enough. You have to take time for yourself to recharge yourself so you have more energy to play, work and be a mom.
5. Just because. Don’t you love when you ask your kids why they did something or why they are crying and they say “because”. That’s the most frustrating answer to any question for me. But the same goes for taking a break. Really, as moms we don’t need a reason to take a break. We need to take breaks just because we’re moms and that’s reason enough.
Now that you know why you need to take a break the question is how to do it. Maybe it’s taking a nice warm bath and reading a book, or a night out with your girlfriends. But my favorite way to unwind is at a spa. But for me, there is nothing more relaxing than a trip to the spa. And I have found my new favorite spa, Mountainside Spa. They just opened their new location in Holladay, Utah and are proud to be a green spa. The products they use, Eminence, are not only all natural but they plant a tree for every bottle/jar/package they sell. Mountainside’s signature service, the Mountainside Retreat, is 75 minutes of pure relaxing bliss. Before I had my boys I got a massage on a pretty regular basis but just haven’t made time to do it since. After my massage and body wrap from Ariel I will definitely be making time again.
Mountainside is a quaint little spa with all the charm and class of a high end spa but without the high end prices. The treatments are personalized to each individual and the products are the best I’ve ever used. They offer both relaxation treatments as well as specialized treatments and even a blueberry detox wrap. They are celebrating their grand opening next Thursday, September 10th all day starting with a ribbon cutting ceremony at 10am followed by a day long celebration including giveaways, spa treatments and more. I’ll be there and would love to see you there too!
What fun would it be to just hear about a spa and not enjoy it for yourself?! Head on over to my Instagram page and enter to win a gift card so you can experience the luxury that is Mountainside Spa.
Wendy Cartright says
This blog is so true. Moms need some time to relieve their stress; and where better to do it than at a spa? Even if you are not a mom, going to a spa and getting a massage can have major benefits on your body. Massages actually help to relieve anxiety and depression. Thank you for sharing!
Thanks for stopping by Wendy! I totally agree…massages are not just for moms but for anyone that needs a little me time.
Brandon Roberts says
My wife’s birthday is coming up, and I wanted to do something for her that she’d really like to do. She’s so busy with so many different things, I think a spa day would be awesome for her! It would give her a chance to relax and focus on herself for the day. Thanks a ton for sharing this with me! I can’t wait to see her face when I get this for her.