Celebrate America’s birthday with these patriotic cookies.
Can you believe that Fourth of July is next weekend?! If you ask most people what their favorite holiday is they would probably say Christmas or Thanksgiving, maybe even Halloween. But not this girl; Fourth of July has been my favorite holiday (aside from my boys’ birthdays) for as long as I can remember. From the parades to the BBQs and who doesn’t love the fireworks?! The last few years I’ve added making fun, festive treats to my list of favorite holiday activities (like my Cherry Lemon Berry Slush).
Now that my boys are getting a bit older I want to start new traditions with them and wanted to pass down my love of baking. And what better way to spread love than with cookies…and sprinkles! I took my favorite chocolate chip cookie added coconut (June’s ingredient for our Monthly Ingredient Challenge) and some festive sprinkles. 15 minutes later we had ooey gooey delicious cookies ready for dessert; or a mid-morning snack!
- 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks) softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- red white and blue sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream together butter and sugars.
- Add in egg and vanilla and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, cornstarch and baking soda
- Add flour mix to wet ingredients and mix to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips and coconut.
- Form dough in to teaspoon size balls and place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Flatten balls slightly with the palm of your hand and top with sprinkles.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until cookies are golden around the outside.
- Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then move to cooling rack and let completely cool.
What’s your favorite way to celebrate America’s Birthday?
Don’t forget to check out these other great recipes using coconut!