This dairy-free gelato is the perfect treat for anyone and everyone!
Did you know that this week (May 10-May 16) is National Food Allergy Awareness Week? It’s time that we can bring attention to food allergies and how dangerous they can be. Today 1 in 13 kids has a food allergy. I am so blessed that my boys don’t have any allergies that we know of (and probably won’t since they eat everything under the sun!) but my sister-in-law deals with food allergies with her four kids every day. That is why today I, along with 6 of my blog buddies, are sharing allergy friendly recipes.
Since summer time is coming up I wanted to create a cool treat that was easy to make and allergy friendly. Most food allergies come from 8 foods: milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat and soybean. I have always been a fan of gelato and when I looked online to see how it was made, almost every ingredient was on the Big 8 list.
So I got creative and did some research to see how I could get around those. I used soy milk instead of regular milk, (I know soy, but when talking with my sister-in-law she said soy milk is usually safe. You can also use coconut milk) and mixed cornstarch and water to replace the eggs. I was a little nervous as a I put the gelato in the freezer to set up but one bite from my boys and they were hooked! It tasted good! This recipe is so easy to make and with only 5 ingredients it’s easy on the wallet too!
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 5 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 6oz package raspberries, blended
- Place a metal container in freezer to have chill
- Heat soy milk over medium heat for about 5 minutes (or until small bubbles start to appear)
- Whisk together cornstarch and water.
- Add sugar to cornstarch mix and stir until combined.
- Pour hot milk into mix and stir until combined.
- Fold in pureed raspberries.
- Place mixture into chilled container and freeze for 7 hours.
- Remove gelato from container and blend again to break up (about 10-15 seconds)
- You can substitute coconut milk for the soy milk.
- 1 Tbsp cornstach + 1 Tbsp water= 1 egg
Food allergies are a very real thing and can be hard to eat around. To kick off National Food Allergy Awareness Week we are giving away the Blendtec Designer 625 Series with a Twister Jar! You can enter through the Rafflecopter below. Be sure to check out all the other yummy allergy friendly recipes too! And for more ways Blendtec can help make your food allergy meals easier and some awesome tips check out this post from Holly, Blendtec’s in house dietitian.
1- Orange Julius- Dessert Now, Dinner Later 2- Lemon Curd- Bite of Delight 3- Tomato Soup- Jonesin’ For Taste 4- Coconut Milk- Food Apparel 5- Pina Colada Agua Fresca- Tried & Tasty 6- Raspberry Gelato- Tastefully Frugal 7- Chia Seed Pudding- The Things I Love Most