Nothing says summer to me like a cool, refreshing Sonic slush. I’m not afraid to admit I have a serious addiction to them! I could drink 3 or more a day… but I settle for my 3-4 times a week trips. When I was pregnant with little Statham the Sonic slush was my #1 craving! My poor, sweet husband could be found at our local Sonic many a night at 10 or 11 o’clock. Seriously, they knew our car and order right when we pulled up! It was great!!
Copy Cat Sonic Slush
- 1 packet Kool-Aid powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups soda water
- 2 1/2 cups crushed ice I use one tray of ice or about 15 ice cubes **Next time we are by Sonic I am going to buy a bag of their ice and see if it makes these homemade slushes more Sonic-like
- Optional: About 3 teaspoons Nerds candy Or 1 teaspoon per cup of slush
- In blender crush ice and set aside.
- On puree setting mix together Kool-Aid, sugar and 1 cup soda water for about 30 seconds (or until all sugar is dissolved).
- Add in crushed ice and puree for about 15 more seconds. Don't puree too long or it will become more of a juice than a slush.
- Add second cup of soda water and puree again for about 15-20 more seconds.
- Pour into cups and put in freezer for 30 minutes-1 hour. *** You can skip this step for younger kids or if you are really, REALLY craving a slush. Putting it in the freezer just solidifies it a bit more. The longer it's in the more Sonic-like it becomes.
- Take out of freezer and pour nerds on top.
- Add straw and enjoy!