These moist, chocolate-y cupcakes are the perfect treat for St. Patrick’s Day.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day Eve! Did you celebrate St. Patty’s Day over the weekend, are you celebrating tomorrow, or are you like me and doing all things green for 4 days straight?! Green happens to be my baby’s favorite color (OK he’s almost 2 so he’s not really a baby anymore, but he’s still my baby) and anything I can do to keep a smile on his face for days I’ll do. We’ve been drinking Leprechaun Juice since last week and Saturday night we had our St. Patrick’s Day Jello Sundaes for dessert. But I saved the best recipe for last.
About a month ago my sweet friend Paula posted pictures of the most delicious looking cupcakes I had ever seen! I wanted to lick the screen they were that good! So that weekend I made her Red Velvet Cupcakes and they were ah-mazing! I made them again for our Valentine’s Day family party and have been finding excuses to make them ever since; until I ran out of red food color… DOH!
I may be out of red but I still had green food coloring and keeping with making my boy happy I made green velvet cupcakes. You can make these red, green, purple, whatever color you want, but just make them; they are seriously that good! Moist, chocolate-y goodness at it’s best. Paula topped hers with her delicious Raspberry Marshmallow Cream Cheese frosting (which is really, really good), but I was all out of marshmallow cream and didn’t want to run to the store at 10 o’clock at night so I made this Whipped Cream and put it in a piping bag. I’ve used this cream before and it’s light and fluffy but packed full of flavor. It was the perfect mix for these moist cupcakes.
If you’re only going to make one green treat this year, definitely make these cupcakes; your family will thank you!
Green Velvet Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Frosting
- 1 1/4 c flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened to room temperature
- 1 c + 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1/4 c milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 - 1 1/2 tsp green food coloring
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- sprinkles optional
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. (It took me 5 minutes on medium speed with my hand mixer)
- Mix in eggs, one at a time.
- Add remaining wet ingredients (sour cream, milk, vanilla and food coloring) and mix just until combined.
- In a separate bowl mix together dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt).
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet and mix until combined. Don't over mix.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in tin for 5 minutes and then move to cooling rack and let completely cool.
- In a Blendtec Twister jar add ingredients and mix on low speed for 30-40 seconds spinning lid counter clockwise while mixing.
- Fill piping bag and frost cupcakes.
- Top with sprinkles.
What is your favorite way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?