Add a little Italy to your breakfast with these French Toast Cannolis.
It’s time for July’s Monthly Ingredient Challenge! Yes, I’m a few days late; but with Pioneer Day (the day we celebrate the pioneers coming to Utah; it’s bigger than the 4th of July here) and having family in town we got so busy I haven’t had much time to create recipes. In past months I’ve made dinners, desserts, drinks for the monthly ingredient challenge but I have yet to make breakfast. Well I’m changing that this month.
Have you ever been in a breakfast rut? You know, when you’ve had the same bowl of cereal or same egg sandwich everyday for weeks, months. That’s us. We have been enjoying Dutch Babies on the weekends but that’s just too much food for my boys and I during the week. I’ve also tried to start adding more variety to our meals. Instead of eating just a turkey wrap for lunch I’ve started adding some fruit and crackers to the mix too. I want to do the same thing with our breakfasts.
So when I was at the store and saw strawberries were on sale I new they would be a perfect addition to any breakfast (or lunch or dinner). Strawberries are our favorite fruit. You probably already know that from all the strawberry recipes I’ve shared, and we have loved having a side of strawberries almost every meal the last week. But it was time to incorporate them into the meal.
These french toast cannolis are bursting full of flavor, super easy to make and really filling too. Swapping out the ricotta cheese for cream cheese (July’s ingredient) really adds to the smooth, sweet flavor. So get yourself out of your breakfast rut and give these cannolis a try!
- 12 pieces of white bread
- 3/4 cup diced strawberries
- 4 oz cream cheese (1/2 a box)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- cinnamon sugar
- Cut off the crust from bread.
- Using a rolling pin, roll bread flat.
- Spread cream cheese on bread.
- Add 1 Tbsp of diced strawberries to bread.
- Roll bread up and press end shut.
- In a bowl whisk together egg and milk.
- Dip cannolis into egg/milk mix.
- Cook in skillet over medium-low heat for 2 minutes.
- Flip and cook for an additional minute on each side.
- Pour melted butter over cooked cannolis and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
How do you mix things up at breakfast?
Don’t forget to check out the other great cream cheese recipes too!