If you are a fan of KFC then you are going to love this (somewhat) healthier version of their fried chicken.
I don’t know about you but I love me some KFC. Just driving by one and catching a whiff of that greasy goodness makes me (almost) want to turn around and pick some up. Two things I don’t really like about their chicken are 1-how dang greasy it is and 2-how expensive it is. I can’t really justify going and picking up a bucket of chicken for $20 when I could spend that same amount of money and get at least 4 dinners if I go to the store and make meals from scratch. But about a month ago I was really craving some fried chicken so as I was creating my meal plans I found this recipe from the Recipe Rebel. Oh my goodness it was so good!
The chicken came out juicy, the breading was crunchy but not thick and over powering and the seasoning was perfect for my husband. It was a little too spicy for my boys and I so I changed it up a bit and we had it again the next week and this time it was even more incredible! Since then we have had it on a regular basis (like every other week) and along with my Sesame Chicken recipe, which we haven’t gotten sick of either, we almost have half a week’s full of dinners done for at least half the month. Give this recipe a try and you’ll never go back to KFC (sorry Col. Sanders).
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of red pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place butter on a cookie sheet and let it melt in oven as it is pre-heating.
- Cut breasts into strips. I like to cut my breasts in half length wise so they are skinnier and cook quicker.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a ziplock bag and shake to mix.
- Add chicken to ziplock bag and shake well to completely coat chicken.
- Once oven has preheated, place chicken on cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Flip chicken over and cook for an additional 10-12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Every time I have made this I serve it was mashed potatoes and gravy and either green beans or corn, depending on the mood of my boys that week. My next adventure is to learn how to make KFC’s coleslaw! If you like this recipe and would like to check out more of my favorite chicken recipes check out my Chicken board on Pinterest!