Make this summer the best one yet with over 120 easy and free (or close to free) ideas for kids.
Summer is right around the corner; are you excited?! I sure know I am! We just got a text today saying they are opening our pool up this weekend so I’m sure we’ll be spending a good majority of our time there. But, sadly, we can’t spend all day, every day at the pool. And having a very active 3 and 4 year old I need to have as many fun plans and activities stashed away as possible to make our days run smoothly.
I know you’re probably in the same shoes so let me share with you what I’ve come up with.
- Go to the library. Our local library has a Preschool Power Play and Summer Story Time every Wednesday. They also have a summer reading program where the kids can earn free toys, food and tickets to local museums. Check your local library’s website for their summer schedule.
- Make Mini Marshmallow Shooter Guns.
- Go to a splash pad. Splash pads are a fun way to keep cool and let the kids run out their energy. If you live in Utah this is the most complete list of splash pads I’ve found.
- Go on a Color Scavenger Hunt.
- Have a Toy Car Wash (or Barbie Spa Day).
- Go yard sale shopping (check out these tips for getting the most bang out of your buck).
- Go Fishing In Your Front Yard.
- Find a You Pick apple orchard or local farm and go pick fruit.
- Make Bubble Snakes.
- Play Laundry Basket Skee Ball.
- Set up a lemonade/bake sale stand.
- Make Ice Cream In A Bag.
- Go to a Dollar Movie. A lot of movie theaters have summer movie programs where you can see 10 movies for $5 or $10. Here are a few in Utah: Cinemark or Megaplex.
- Make Giant Bubbles.
- Build a fort.
- Play Balloon Hockey.
- Bake cookies.
- Have a water balloon fight.
- Paint with Shaving Cream.
- Make Play Dough.
- Play Simon Says.
- Make a DIY Slip n’ Slide.
- Have a puppet show.
- Backyard Bowling
- Play Yard Yahtzee.
- Have a picnic at the park.
- Make Pool Noodle Light Sabers.
- Go on a Treasure Scavenger Hunt.
- Go backyard camping.
- Make Popsicles.
Want even more fun activities to do with the kids this summer? Check out these posts: