I had a little mommy break the other day, I went to the dentist. It’s crazy the things we take for granted before we had kids. I would’ve never thought that getting my teeth cleaned would be considered a break 3 years ago. But hey, I’ll take any break I can get now! One of the girls was talking about her plans for the holidays and reminded me that there are only 17 days until Thanksgiving… Seventeen! Where did the year go?! I guess I better start planning what we’ll be having with turkey this year. I also better start getting rid of all that Halloween candy we have laying around.
Have you ever been to the mall to go trick-or-treating? I don’t know who thought of this idea but it is genius! Especially for families with little ones. We were able to get all our trick-or-treating done in about an hour, it was all indoors and it was much easier on the boys. The only down side was that almost every store gave away the same candy, tootsie rolls. Normally I am a big fan of tootsie rolls, but when you have like 200 hundred of them, it gets a little much.
So what do you do when you have a lot of extra candy you aren’t going to eat? You bake with it of course! I hadn’t made brownies in awhile and had been craving them lately so, what better way to use up those tootsie rolls. I was thinking about just putting them on top of the brownie batter before baking but I wasn’t sure if they would melt all the way so what else can could I do with them? Melt them down, mix them with cream cheese and make frosting! The creamy frosting paired perfect with the fudge-y brownies! So if you have some extra tootsie rolls laying around try these brownies; you won’t regret it!
Tootsie Roll Brownies
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, melted
- 1/2 cup cocoa power
- 2 cup flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup tootsie rolls about 70, cut in half
- 8 oz cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 4-5 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- With a hand mixer, mix butter and cocoa powder.
- Mix in flour and sugar just until combined
- Mix in eggs and vanilla (one egg and 1 tsp vanilla at a time)
- Don't over mix; just stir until combined.
- Pour into a 9x13 greased baking dish and bake for 25-35 minutes until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- For Frosting:
- In a double broiler melt tootsie rolls.
- Mix tootsie rolls and cream cheese together. Add in powdered sugar 1 Tbsp at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Spread over cooled brownies.
- If you have leftovers, store in fridge.
Do you have any fun ways to use up extra Halloween candy? I’d love to have you link them up to Creative K Kids Tasty Tuesdays!
This month Sydney from Tastefully Frugal and Audrey from That Recipe are the co-hosts of this party!
We would love to have you link up to three of your old or new food posts!
Here are just a few requests for this linky:
- PLEASE follow the hosts and co-hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They visit your post, leave a comment, and pin your post. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please make sure you link up only food-related posts that have never been linked uphere before or they will be deleted.Non-food posts can always be linked up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party!
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.
[inlinkz_linkup id=462630 mode=1]