Not only is this pasta dish super tasty, but it also can be made in 30 minutes and your kids will never know all the veggies you snuck in!
It’s been awhile since I posted a recipe here on Tastefully Frugal. It’s not that I haven’t been cooking (though some weeks that might not be the case), it’s just that life has been so busy I haven’t planned enough time to cook, take pictures and then eat. Most nights, dinner is a rush and my kids are starving before I even start cooking. But last week I made time in my schedule to start dinner earlier so I could get pictures of this yummy pasta dish!
This dish was inspired by a freezer meal actually. My boys had a play date at a friend’s house and their mom made a frozen bag dinner and they raved about how good it was. So I went to the store, bought the dinner and made it the next night. And it was delicious. BUT it was $8 a bag and I needed 2 bags to feed my hungry family. That seemed a little spendy and I knew I could make my own version for less (that tasted better).
I looked at the ingredients on the bag and started prepping. Most chicken florentine pasta dishes have linguine or spaghetti noodles, but my boys really like the bow tie noodles, and Mahle (whose almost 2) was able to eat them easily too. Plus the kids had no idea they were eating mushrooms! They knew there was spinach in it because they could see them, but the creamy sauce covered up the ‘yucky’ taste of it, or so said my 6 year old.
If you’re looking for a healthy-ish meal your whole family will love, this is one you’ll want to add to your next meal plan!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups bow tie pasta (about half of a 1lb box)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 3-4 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups spinach (about 1 bunch)
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Parmesan cheese
- Cook bow tie pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat canola oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook thoroughly (about 5-7 minutes).
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Cook mushrooms for 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside.
- Melt butter in pan and whisk in flour.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth and milk.
- Whisk for about 2 minutes or until sauce thickens and starts to simmer.
- Add spinach to pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Add in cooked pasta, chicken and mushrooms. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.